Up for the cup - Scottish Junior Cup first round review

Scottish Junior Cup holders Auchinleck Talbot in action during a pre-season friendly at Bo'nessScottish Junior Cup holders Auchinleck Talbot in action during a pre-season friendly at Bo'ness
Scottish Junior Cup holders Auchinleck Talbot in action during a pre-season friendly at Bo'ness
The long journey to greatest prize in the Scottish junior game began on Saturday when the first round of the Scottish Junior Cup took place.

For some the dream of cup glory bit the dust at the first hurdle - for others there’s now the anticipation of the second round draw.

Burghead Thistle 1 Kilsyth Rangers 5

The long trip faced by Kilsyth Rangers to face Burghead Thistle, Scottish junior football’s most northerly side, proved worthwhile as they came away with a 5-1 win.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Kilsyth struck twice in the first half hour but the visitors pulled one back before the break. However three more Kilsyth goals in the second period saw Keith Hogg’s men safely through.

Scorers were the Duncansfield men were Hughes, Easton, Barclay 2 and McBride.

Bellshill Athletic 0 Wishaw 0

Bellshill Athletic and Wishaw Juniors will have to do it all again next week.

The sides fought out a goalless North Lanarkshire derby at Rockburn Park in Bellshill’s first home Scottish Junior Cup tie since their return to the town during the summer.

Bonnyrigg Rose 3 Thorniewood United 0

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Thorniewood United were always likely to face a difficult task when they travelled through to face East Region side Bonnyrigg Rose and so it proved as they went down 3-0.

Kick-off was put back for 15 minutes after the Thorniewood bus was delayed and it was the home side who were in the driving seat when Wayne McIntosh gave them a 26th minute lead.

Kieran McGachie then doubled their advantage after 61 minutes and a Connor Thomson free-kick in stoppage time completed the scoring.

Crossgates Primrose 1 Lanark United 4

Central Division Two league leaders Lanark United maintained their fine start to the season with a 4-1 win away to East Region outfit Crossgates Primrose.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Stuart Mitchell gave Lanark the perfect start with a fourth minute opener and it stayed that way until half-time.

Lanark started the second half the same way as the first as Alan Christie doubled their advantage in the 49th minute and 10 minutes later skipper Alan McCrum made it 3-0 from the penalty spot.

Mitchell made it 4-0 in 73 minutes before Crossgates got a consolation goal from the penalty spot two minutes from time.

Montrose Roselea 4 Forfar Albion 0

The Angus derby between Montrose Roselea and Forfar Albion proved a one-sided affair as Roselea romped to a 4-0 win.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Stephen Greig put them ahead on the half-hour mark and the doubled the advantage eight minutes later.

A Paul Whyte strike in the opening minutes of the second period finished the game as a contest and Michael Cruickshank rounded off the scoring with a fourth goal seven minutes from time.

Irvine Victoria 1 Camelon 7

A hat-trick by David Grant helped Camelon to a 7-1 win away to Ayrshire side Irvine Vics.

Grant opened the scoring in 25 minutes and Calum Scott made it 2-0 four minutes later.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

The home side pulled one back with a wonder strike by Jordan Craig 10 minutes before the break, but in the second half Colin Allison restored Camelon’s two-goal advantage and Gregor Fotheringham then added a fourth.

Grant got his second and Camelon’s fifth before Fotheringham and Grant completed the scoring.

Cumnock 3 Broughty Athletic 0

However a trip to Ayrshire wasn’t as worthwhile for Broughty Athletic who went down 3-0 at Cumnock.

The first half was goalless but Kieren Wood broke the deadlock for the Ayrshire side in the second period.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Paul Quinn then got a second before Aiden Malone rounded off the victory with a third in injury-time.

Lochee Harp 1 Tayport 2

All the scoring action came early in Tayport’s 2-1 win at Lochee Harp.

Darren Ferguson gave Lochee Harp a seventh minute lead but within two minutes Gary Sutherland got Tayport back on level terms.

Dale Robertson then put Tayport ahead in the 18th minute with a goal which proved to be the winner.

Newburgh 0 Kilbirnie Ladeside 6

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Newburgh never looked like upsetting Kilbirnie Ladeside after an early Stevie Meechan double put the visitors in command early on.

Meechan then went on to complete his hat-trick and then add a fourth before half-time.

Two further goals in the second half completed a 6-0 win.

Neilston 3 Dufftown 1

Neilston had to come from behind to overcome Northern Region visitors Dufftown 3-1.

Neither side was able to find the net in the first half but James McLaren put the visitors in front eight minutes after the restart.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Neilston levelled in 62 minutes and took the lead 10 minutes from time through Derek Kennedy.

A third goal in the 90th minute then sealed victory.

One side not involved in the Junior Cup were Linlithgow Rose who had the small matter of a match in the mainstream Scottish Cup away to Gala Fairydean Rovers - which they won 2-0 with goals from Colin Strickland and Tommy Coyne.

Sides who received byes include Pollok, Cumbernauld United, Kirkintilloch Rob Roy, Rossvale, Carluke Rovers, Lesmahagow, Forth Wanderers, Falkirk Juniors, Dunipace, Bo’ness United, Arbroath Vics, Carnoustie Panmure, Brechin Vics, Forfar West End, Kirrie Thistle, Kennoway Star Hearts, Glenrothes, Thornton Hibs, St Andrews United, Kirkcaldy YM and Dundonald Bluebell.