Kirkcaldy death - home brew alcohol items found posed no risk to public

Police remain at the property in Balfour Street in Kirkcaldy this morning.
Police remain at the property in Balfour Street in Kirkcaldy this morning.

Police investigating after the discovery of a body and suspicious items found at a property in Kirkcaldy last night, have now confirmed the items posed no threat to the public.

Bomb disposal experts from Police Scotland were called to the scene at Balfour Street in the town at 6.05pm yesterday evening after the discovery of the body of a 37-year-old male and what police described as potentially volatile and flammable items”.

A body of a 37-year-old male was found at the scene.

A body of a 37-year-old male was found at the scene.

Chief Inspector Tom Brown, Local Area Commander for Kirkcaldy, said: “We would like to take this opportunity to reassure local residents within the Balfour Street area, and the wider community within Kirkcaldy that there was no risk to the public following the police and EOD response to an address.

“It has since been established that the items were used in the production of home-brewed alcohol and did not pose a risk to the public.

“We thank those affected for their patience and co-operation while expert assessment of the items concerned was carried out.

“The man’s death is currently being treated as unexplained, however, there appear to be no suspicious circumstances.

You might also be interested in:

Residents evacuated from Kirkcaldy street after body found

Kirkcaldy unveils event to honour Jocky Wilson

Fife man caught with 1.2million cigarettes

The spokesman added: “Police in Fife attended at an address is Balfour Street, Kirkcaldy at around 6.05pm on Tuesday 15th January following a report of concern for a person.

“A number of neighbouring properties were evacuated while the items were assessed and residents were subsequently allowed to return to their homes after it was confirmed there was no risk to the public.”

One Balfour Street resident living just a few metres from the property, who asked not to be identified, said they had returned home from the shops to find “a mass of police and emergency vehicles blocking the street..”

They added: “We couldn’t quite believe it, with the number of police and police vehicles blocking the road it was clear they were taking the incident very seriously,

“You’ve got to be worried when you see the bomb disposal van turn up.

The street was taped off by police all evening, it’s something you don’t expect to see in a street like this.”

Police officers remain stationed outside the property this morning as officers continue to investigate the man’s death.