St Andrews United 3-3 Whitburn

United hold their line against Whitburn.United hold their line against Whitburn.
United hold their line against Whitburn.
St Andrews faced a Whitburn team who, like themselves, need points to ensure they stay in the East Premier League.

Saints manager Craig Morrison made changes to his side after last weekend’s lack lustre performance at Sauchie.

The manager included himself in the starting eleven with Scott Main returning after suspension and captain Ryan McInnes returned after being out injured.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Saints found themselves behind after five minutes when the visitors were allowed a free header at the back post.

Whitburn could have increased their lead but were denied by Saints goalkeeper Mooney’s fine save.

At the other end, Wallace had a good chance to level the score but he put his shot wide.

It was all St Andrews at this stage, McInnes saw his shot saved and the home side had a strong penalty claim turned away when Wallace was clearly impeded as he jumped for the ball.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

The Saints got themselves back on level terms when Anthony cut in from the right and fired the ball across the face of the goal, the ball struck a Whitburn defender and land in the net.

The visitor almost regained the lead but their goal bound shot was block by Saints defender Flemming.

Morrison had the first chance of the second half when slide the ball towards goal but the ball was cleared.

Just when it looked like it was not going to be their day St Andrews took the lead when Anthony curled the ball into the top corner of the net.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

The home side increased their lead when Wallace’s pass found Falconer inside the box the striker’s shot was saved but when the ball fell to Anthony he slotted the ball home.

This should have insured victory for the Saints but has they pushed forward looking for a fourth goal they were caught with a long ball which allowed Whitburn to race forward and score.

A misjudged tackle from McInnes inside the box resulted in the captain’s dismissal and a penalty for the visitors.

The penalty was converted and Whitburn were level.

Hendry almost got the winner for St Andrews.